Mold is also the frequent cause of serious health conditions. With people spending more time indoors than in the past, there is a greater concern about interior conditions. We should be aware of how our environment affects our health. In some cases, people develop severe reactions to mold exposure. This can include fever, difficulty breathing, and even allergic reactions. Allergic reactions can happen immediately or develop over a period of time. People with compromised immune systems or those with chronic lung disease can develop serious infections of the lungs due to molds. It is imperative to act quickly to avoid any adverse reaction.

Mold has the capability of becoming unmanageable quickly. Water is the most important factor in its growth. It spreads rapidly and should be addressed immediately. Under the right conditions, the germination of mold spores can happen within 12 hours. Mold smells bad and, if left untreated, can cause permanent structural damage to your environment.

Cellulose is a preferred nutrient for mold growth, and it is found in many building materials. Carpet, wood, trim, insulation, and drywall all contain cellulose. If these materials get wet, they are susceptible to mold growth. This is why you must act quickly after water damage since mold can start forming quickly. Mold in these materials compromises your space’s structural integrity.

Mold grows faster in dark, warm areas where there is a higher relative humidity. However, don’t believe the myth that mold will grow only in dark environments. Although it grows better in the dark because there is more moisture available, many molds begin disseminating their spores when they are exposed to light.

The growth of mold in Florida is happening at a rapid rate. This is due to moisture, water, high humidity, and flood damage. If you are encountering mold smells or visibly see black mold or any other type of drywall water damage, please contact us immediately. We’re here to keep you safe and healthy. Our number one priority is your health and safety. Contact us and let us know how we can serve you.

Mold Faq’s

Are some molds more hazardous than others?

Some types of molds can produce chemicals called “mycotoxins”. These molds are common, and are sometimes referred to as “toxic mold”. There are very few reports that “toxic molds” inside homes can cause unique or rare health conditions. If you think you have a mold problem in your home, you do not need to find out what type of mold you may have. All molds should be treated the same when it comes to health risks and removal. All indoor mold growth should be removed promptly, no matter what type(s) of mold is present, or whether or not it can produce mycotoxins.
www.floridahealth.gov

What health problems can be caused by mold?

There are four kinds of health problems that come from exposure to mold: allergic illness, irritant effects, infection, and toxic effects. For people that are sensitive to molds, symptoms such as nasal and sinus irritation or congestion, dry hacking cough, wheezing, skin rashes or burning, watery or reddened eyes may occur. People with severe allergies to molds may have more serious reactions, such as hay-fever-like symptoms or shortness of breath. People with chronic illnesses or people with immune system problems may be more likely to get infections from certain molds, viruses and bacteria. Molds can also trigger asthma attacks in persons with asthma. Headaches, memory problems, mood swings, nosebleeds and body aches and pains are sometimes reported in mold complaints, but the causes of these physical symptoms are not yet understood.
www.floridahealth.gov

Should bleach or other biocides (disinfectants, sanitizers, or fungicides) be used to kill mold?

Using bleach or other chemicals to kill indoor mold growth is not needed in most cases. The goal should be to remove mold growth by cleaning or removing moldy materials. Dead mold can still pose health risks if you are exposed. Using bleach or other disinfectants on surfaces after mold removal may be needed where people are thought to be susceptible to fungal infections (such as a person with immune system problems). Should you decide to use bleach or another chemical, please read and carefully follow the label directions and hazard statements (caution, warning, danger). Do not mix bleach with ammonia cleaners or acids, because a dangerous chlorine gas may be formed.
www.floridahealth.gov

Can I clean up mold issues? (Mold Cleanup)

Who should do the cleanup depends on a number of factors. One consideration is the size of the mold problem. If the moldy area is less than about 10 square feet (less than roughly a 3 ft. by 3 ft. patch), in most cases, you can handle the job yourself, follow the Mold Cleanup Tips and Techniques. However:

  • If you choose to hire a contractor (or other professional service provider) to do the cleanup, make sure the contractor has experience cleaning up mold.
  • If the water and/or mold damage was caused by sewage or other contaminated water, then call in a professional who has experience cleaning and fixing buildings damaged by contaminated water.

www.epa.gov