“When I came out I saw that the back of the kitchen was already smoking. Then in less than ten minutes time, the entire house was engulfed,” she said as she talked to our 24/7 Emergency Response representative.
All disasters are difficult, but a fire is utterly devastating. It happens so quickly and spares nothing in its path. It can take as little as 30 seconds for a small flame to can become a major fire that ravages a home and threatens the lives of the people inside.
A fire can trigger financial stress on top of all of the loss. When damage seems manageable, some people want to save money on fire restoration by handling whatever clean up they feel they can do themselves. This may not be the best plan. Master Restoration wants to keep you safe from the health hazards that make fire restoration a dangerous and difficult task. Professional safety equipment will prevent health concerns by reducing possible exposure to dangerous smoke and soot, and quite possibly water and mold-related health issues resulting from firefighting efforts.
Smoke and soot are more than a dirty little reminder of the disastrous fire that took its toll on your home. The complications associated with fire damage, including soot stains and smoke odors, have secret hazards that need to be considered. More than just smelly and unsightly, smoke and soot exposure adversely affect your health. Children, the elderly, and those with weakened immune systems are particularly at risk when exposed to smoke and soot.
Why Are Smoke & Soot Dangerous?
When combustion occurs during a fire, not all materials burn cleanly. This results in smoke and soot. These waste products, including solids, liquids, and gases, may be composed of various chemicals which are harmful to your health. Plastics, foams, fabrics, carpets, wood products, synthetic fabrics, wool, and asbestos-containing materials are just a few examples of materials that become toxic when burned.
Fire Restoration is best handled by professionals who have the right training, tools, and safety equipment. Exposure to smoke and soot during fire restoration may occur through the skin and eyes, inhalation, and ingestion. Airborne soot particulates are invisible. Once soot enters your bloodstream, it can cause a wide array of serious health issues, including respiratory issues, shortness of breath, bronchitis, asthma, stroke, heart attack, cancer, and premature death. In infants, even short-term exposure to soot has been shown to have lifelong health consequences, permanently altering developing respiratory systems.
Unfortunately, the risks associated with fire do not end once the flames are extinguished. Fire damage can linger for years unless properly addressed. Proper ventilation practices are also necessary to protect and restore indoor air quality following a fire, including HEPA filtration and adsorption (activated carbon) to preserve air quality. A bottle of degreaser and a dust mask are not enough! Professional tools, knowledge, and expertise are at the heart of a thorough and safe fire restoration.
Are you trying to save money at the expense of your health? We love our community and we are sensitive to your financial devastation as well. Reach out to us and let’s work together to keep you safe after a fire.